Monday, December 1, 2008

John Doe and Kathleen Edwards

This pairing is just brilliant. I won't go on about their backgrounds, especially his (that would make this term-paper length), but Edwards sang on some songs on Doe's last record, the amazing A Year in the Wilderness, including the lead single, "The Golden State". All the way back to X, Doe has sounded excellent when matched with the right female vocalists. And all I could think is that the two of them just needed to do a whole record together.

I hope that day does come, but, for now, they just did a short tour together, which they dubbed The Hurtin' and Flirtin' Tour. The tour stopped nowhere near me, but thanks to this vast internet, I still get to see some of the results. I just spent a long, long time watching these videos and here some of the best.

This is them playing the aforementioned "The Golden State"



One of many clips I found of them playing Zankel Hall in NYC. This is a cover of "We'll Sweep Out the Ashes" by Gram Parsons, a song they sang together at a benefit a few years ago.



Another cover for good measure, this one is "When Will I Be Loved" by the Everly Brothers.





If you just search both their names, you'll turn up a handful of other clips, including one of Edwards' videos, "Back to Me", which featured Doe in an acting capacity.


John Doe on MySpace and official site
Kathleen Edwards on MySpace and offical site

1 comment:

Sionnach said...

You should wish for John Doe & Kathleen Edwards to join forces with Dean & Britta and see if it happens.